Thursday, July 23, 2009

WHO WANTS NORMAL, ANYWAY?

Setting: The waiting room for the boys' Occupational Therapy
Time: Wednesday Morning
What Happened: Cameron walked into the room and found two bean bags and took them to a corner where he sandwiched himself between the bags and began humming (not the pretty, musical kind-the self soothing, continuous pulse kind). Ewan was so excited for he and Cameron to be sharing their new session time (they used to go on different days). He really wanted to interact with Cameron, so he walked around the parameter of the bags, looking for a way to play with Cameron that wouldn't upset him. He ended up carefully laying down on top of Cameron and the bean bags and humming with him. There they were: this odd pile of brothers and bean bags making this awful noise together. It was really quite touching. I sat there thinking: Is it "normal" for brothers of seven and five to interact this way?...in a delicate balance of the younger trying to find a way into his brother's acceptance even if that means behaving in a socially inappropriate way? And by the way, what is normal? I may never know.
I'm learning to let "normal" go. Who wants normal anyway, when you have the kind of life where a humming, brother/been bag sandwich in a waiting room can fill your heart with gratitude?

2 comments:

  1. I have stopped using the word "normal" and I use "typical" instead. There is so much subtext that comes with "normal"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your boys! They always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete